Slipping in more fruits and vegetables at snack time is a great way to up your produce intake. Instead of turning to options like granola bars, crackers, chips, or other vending machine fare, come over to the fresher side of things. You can go as simple or get as creative as you like. The point is to find something that you like and that fits in with your lifestyle so you can keep it up, rather than struggling and feeling like it’s a chore. Honestly, this can be just as convenient as those pre-packaged snacks, with a little planning. Cut up veggies over the weekend and divide into snack sized portions so you can grab them right out of the fridge. Mix up a fruit salad that can easily be spooned into a container for later or served up after school. Here are some ideas to get your started.
- Veggies with hummus for dipping
- Fruit salad
- Beans and chopped veggies mixed with lemon juice or vinegar, oil, and your favorite spices (make a big batch and keep it in the refrigerator)
- Plain yogurt topped with fresh fruit
- Banana with peanut butter
- Celery with peanut butter
- Smoothie made with plain yogurt, berries, and spinach
- Cup of vegetable soup
- Sliced fruit (apples, pears, orange, peaches, etc.) with plain yogurt for dipping
- Lettuce roll-ups
- Fruit and/or veggie skewers
What’s your favorite way to snack on fruits and veggies?